The early years of a child’s life are critically important for the formation of good lifestyle habits, including a positive attitude towards healthy eating. Research findings show a correlation between a wide range of positive health behaviours and healthy eating among school children. Studies also indicate that social and developmental benefits are linked to the establishment of a nutritionally adequate diet in early childhood.
WHAT IS BALANCED DIET?
In simple terms, to eat a balanced diet you need to combine several different types of foods – from each of the main food groups – in the right amounts so your body gets all the nutrients it needs while maintaining a healthy weight.
This means you should eat:
- Plenty of bread, rice potatoes, pasta and other starchy foods
- Plenty of fruit and vegetables
- Some milk, cheese and yoghurt
- Some meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein
- Just a small amount of foods and drinks high in fat and/or sugar
HSE 3 WEEK MENU PLAN
At Maples Creche we have adopted HSE 3 week menu plan. Our menus are planned in accordance with HSE guidelines and the HACCP Food Safety System. The menu plan provides a guide for breakfast, lunch, tea and snack suggestions for five days of the week.
A full selection of tried and tested child-friendly recipes are used on daily basis. The menu plans have been analysed to ensure they meet the recommended daily amounts of key nutrients for pre-school children.
Educating your child’s palate
At Maples Creche Portlaoise, we understand how important it is to establish good healthy eating practices at a very young age. We believe in providing highly nutritious, good quality meals, not only for your child’s health and physical well-being but also to develop their taste buds and social skills involving food.
- We fully supervise all snacks and mealtimes, to provide a safe, positive and cheerful environment where your child can enjoy their food in an unhurried fashion.
- We will adhere to individual food choices or dietary requirements you or your child may have, where possible.
- Whether a Toddler, in Pre-school or in Afterschool we will provide your child with all the nutrients they need in delicious meals served in a stimulating environment. We have designed our menus to consider all the different stages of your child’s development. Our menus follow the food pyramid, which is the definitive guide to ensuring your child gets all their daily nutritional needs. Our menu is designed by HSE 3 week menu plan guidelines.
- Our menu is varied and we use fresh produce where we can. We use only ingredients of the highest quality, with every effort made to ensure low sodium and low sugar content.
- We cater for all children’s individual dietary requirements, for example: dairy free, gluten free, vegetarians and children who suffer from food allergies and intolerances.
- We ensure that children receive the recommended diet for the age group. We ensure that children receive healthy and varied food which offers lots of fresh fruit, vegetables and protein.